Last week I posted my tips and recipe for the perfect homemade pizza crust. The recipe I use always yields enough dough for 2 thin crust pizzas, which pretty much guarantees that we will make pizza two weeks in a row.
If we are being honest, B and I would make pizza every day of the week. But at some point some evil person had to come along and point out that carbs are “bad” or something. Which means, we try to limit our pizza intake to once a week.
This past week we went with a tried and true favorite: barbeque chicken pizza. (I was inspired by Amie, who made her own BBQ chicken pizza using my crust recipe.) It is the perfect pizza to make if we have left over chicken from the week. And it is easily customizable. All you really need is crust, barbeque sauce, cheese, and chicken. Then if we have anything else on hand, we throw it on top.
What we threw on top this time around was roasted corn, goat cheese, caramelized onions, and cilantro. This is the first time we have used corn, and I have to say it was a nice touch. I also think blue cheese would be good with a bbq chicken pizza, if that is your thing.
But, when it is all said and done, we could probably throw just about anything on a pizza crust and eat it. We are no pizza snobs.
What is your favorite pizza to make at home?
Barbeque Chicken Pizza
2 tsp olive oil
salt and pepper
1/2 cup barbeque sauce, divided
1 cup chicken, cooked and shredded or diced
1/4 onion, sliced
1/4 cup corn
3/4 cup sliced or shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tbsp cilantro leaves
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Meanwhile, add 1 tsp olive oil to a pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until golden brown and caramelized. Remove from pan when cooked, but keep pan on heat.
2. Place rolled out pizza dough on preheated pizza stone. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 5-7 minutes, until the bottom has cooked.
3. Meanwhile, add chicken and 1/4 cup of the sauce the the pan. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes to allow the sauce to cook into the chicken.
4. When the dough is ready, top with bbq sauce, cheese, chicken, onions, goat cheese, and corn. Bake for 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Once cheese has melted, turn the oven to broil, and let the pizza broil for 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and the crust starts to brown.
5. Remove from the oven and top with cilantro.