Watermelon and feta are an unlikely pair, aren’t they? That juicy, sweet fruit with rich and salty feta. When you top them with a drizzle of tangy balsamic, it almost becomes the perfect bite of food!
I added a handful of blueberries to my balsamic reduction and to the top of the feta to really amp up the blue, making these little bites perfect for 4th of July!
HOW I MADE IT
I started by making the blueberry balsamic reduction. You could use a plain balsamic reduction (or buy a bottle of balsamic glaze from the grocery store) if you don’t feel like making thw blueberry variety.
But it’s actually pretty easy to make. I put some blueberries, balsamic, and agave (you could use honey, I just couldn’t find mine) in a sauce pan and then let it simmer until it had reduced by half. And viola! Blueberry balsamic reduction that you can impress your friends with. Just remember to say “blueberry balsamic reduction” in the snootiest way possible.
For the watermelon part, of course you could just cut out cube, but where’s the fun in that? I had my star cookie cutter already out from making pie last week so I decided to make star shaped watermelon. Very patriotic!
Now comes the easy part! I stacked a cube of feta on top of the watermelon and skewered them with a toothpick and blueberry.
Then just drizzled on the balsamic reduction.
Now these cuties are ready to be devoured! I have a feeling they will go quickly at any 4th of July party or Summer backyard barbecue! They are refreshing and satisfying all in one bite!
- 1/2 cup blueberries, divided
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp agave or honey
- 1 small watermelon, sliced into 1 inch slices
- 6 oz. brick of feta, cut into cubes
- In a small sauce pan, add the blueberries, balsamic, and agave/honey. Place over medium low heat and bring to a simmer. Stir occasionally to prevent the mixture from burning. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until reduced by half.
- Use a star shaped cookie cutter to cut the watermelon slices into stars. Or remove the rind and cut into cubes.
- Assemble the bites by placing a piece of watermelon, top with a cube of feta. Skewer a toothpick, onto the feta and watermelon. Drizzle the balsamic reduction over the watermelon, feta, and blueberry. Tear the mint leaves and sprinkle over top.