One of our new favorite weeknight meals is my friend Michelle’s slow-cooker buffalo chicken. It’s easy. It’s actually pretty healthy. And it makes enough food to feed us for days. A couple weeks ago, I made a big batch of the buffalo chicken and had so much left over I had to find something else to do with it other than eat it on a piece of lettuce.
Enter the egg roll wrapper.
We have used egg roll wrappers to transform many of our favorite recipes, from chicken tacos, to teriyaki chicken, lasagna, you name it. Why not stuff some buffalo chicken in there, too?
Well, that was probably the best decision ever! The egg roll wrappers transformed the buffalo chicken into these perfectly portioned appetizers. They were a little bit easier to eat, a lot less messy, and were the perfect size to dip into some Ranch dressing.
I will warn you, the egg roll wrappers do take some getting used to. You have to roll it just right to make sure none of the filling falls out. I like to roll mine on the bias, so that I start with one corner rolling to the opposite. Tucking in the sides is key.
To make these a bit healthier (and because I wouldn’t know how to fry them if I tried), we bake these in the oven. I like to line them up on a cooling rack stacked on top of a cookie sheet. I brush them down with a bit of oil, then pop then in the oven until they are brown and crispy.
Like I said, they would make a great game-day appetizer, but we also love to eat these as our main meal. Three to four egg rolls is just the right amount for me and is perfectly satisfying along with some veggies or a salad. My husband can definitely put back a couple more. I also feel like kids would really like these, too. You could probably sneak some veggies into the egg roll and they would never know the difference.
PIN NOW, MAKE LATER
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1/2 cup Franks RedHot Buffalo Sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp Ranch dressing spice mix
- 1 tbsp honey (optional)
- 1 package egg roll wrappers
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or blue cheese
- Ranch or Blue Cheese dressing (for dipping)
- Place chicken in the stoneware of a slow cooker. In a measuring cup, mix together hot sauce, chicken stock, and honey. Pour over chicken. Sprinkle spice mix over top. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Before chicken is done cooking, shred with two forks then continue to cook for the remainder of the time.
- Spoon about 2 spoon fulls of the chicken into the center of the egg roll wrapper. Top with a pinch of cheese. Fold in two opposite corners, then start rolling from one unfolded corner to the other. Brush the exposed corner with water, then finish wrapping around the egg roll to seal.
- Place egg rolls on a cooling rack over a baking sheet. Brush with a moderate amount of olive or canola oil. Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes until golden brown. Flip over half way through baking.
- Allow to cool for about 5 minutes before serving.