One of my favorite things about the holiday season is all of the treats, cookies, and candies that are around all the time. If you hadn’t figured it out already I love just about any cookie, candy, brownie, truffle, etc, so this is probably no surprise.
To kick off the Christmas cookie making season I wanted to start with something a little different. Oatmeal cookies aren’t always associated with the holidays, but when you add in some green pistachios and red dried cranberries, they take on a much more festive look.
But they don’t just look festive. They taste delicious. The cranberries are tart and chewy. The pistachios are salty and crunchy. And the white chocolate balances them both out with their sweetness.
The recipe is pretty simple. Other than the extras, it starts with your basic oatmeal cookie recipe. If you have a favorite oatmeal cookie recipe, you can start with that as the base then add in the chocolate, cranberries, and pistachios. If you don’t have a favorite oatmeal cookie, I highly recommend the one I used below. It makes a delicious, crumbly, soft, with crunchy edges oatmeal cookie.
So if you are looking for a fun alternative for a cookie swap or holiday party, I recommend these cookies! I promise you won’t be disappointed!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup old-fashioned whole rolled oats (not instant or quick cook)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup shelled and toasted pistachios
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy. About 2 minutes.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together flour, oats, baking soda, and salt. Slowly incorporate into butter and egg mixture. Do not over mix.
- Fold in cranberries, pistachios, and white chocolate.
- Spoon about 1 tbsp on a a prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown on the edges.
- Remove from oven and let cool.