Do you love pizza? But are you restricted by your low-carb diet? I have the solution for you!!
I hope you read that in the most “info-mercial voice you could think of.
But seriously….I do have the solution for you!
In an effort to try to get my eating back on track after the holidays, I have been trying to cut back on some of the carbs in my diet. Other than the 4 cookies I just scarffed down, it’s been going pretty well. That’s not to say I haven’t had cravings for some of my favorite foods. I have definitely missed my peanut butter toast in the mornings. But I have also found some good alternatives, like this frittata pizza!
When my husband was out of town last week I was looking for something easy to cook for just myself with what I had available. Since we always have eggs, a frittata seemed like a good, healthy option. But pizza is actually what I had a hankering for. So I combined the two!
I started by blistering a handful of cherry tomatoes in the pan. Since I wasn’t going to use any sauce, these tomatoes gave me the same tomato flavor that I would expect on a pizza.
Then I poured in a mixture of eggs, egg whites, oregano, basil, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper and let the eggs start to solidify. Once a layer of cooked egg had formed on the bottom and around the edges, I used a spatula to pull in the sides so that the uncooked egg could spill over into the gap.
Once most of the egg had cooked, I sprinkled on some mozzarella cheese and then placed some pepperonis on top. Then I placed the entire frittata under the broiler so the cheese could melt and the rest of the egg could cook.
Once it was done, I topped it with some fresh basil, crushed red pepper, and some more Parmesan. I’m trying to reduce the carbs, not the cheese!
After one bite, this totally hit the spot. It definitely satisfied any craving I had for pizza! While you can’t totally replace the crunchy traditional pizza crust, somehow the egg “crust” was perfectly enjoyable. I think it’s the Parmesan mixed in with the eggs that makes the whole thing just taste like melted cheese. I mean, how could you not love it?
I would make this frittata pizza again in a heart beat! Not only is it a tad healthier (depending on which macro-nutrient you are trying to avoid), from start to finish, the whole thing took about 15 minutes or less. It was the perfect meal to for just one person. If we are being honest, it’s probably plenty of food for two. But of course I ate the whole thing myself.
It was just that good!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp basil
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 7-10 slices of pepperoni
- In a medium saute pan over medium-high heat, drizzle in the olive oil and add the tomatoes. Toss to coat tomatoes in the oil. Let tomatoes cook until blistered on both sides, stirring occasionally. When tomatoes are all blistered, lower heat to medium and remove pan from heat for 30 seconds.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs, Parmesan cheese, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. Pour the egg mixture into the pan over the tomatoes and return the pan to the heat. After about 1 minutes, when a layer of egg has cooked on the bottom, use a spatula to pull in the sides and tip the pan to let the uncooked egg spill into the gap formed by the spatula.
- Once most of the egg has cooked, sprinkle cheese and pepperoni on top. Place the frittata in the oven under the broil and broil on low for about 4 minutes, until the cheese has melted and the egg is cooked.
- Top with your favorite pizza toppings and enjoy!
PIN NOW, MAKE LATER