So what do you do with the extra candy canes you bought after you make peppermint bark brownies? You make peppermint chocolate Chex Mix. Then you eat almost all of it before taking pictures for the blog.
Yeah, it was that good. It almost tastes like if they made Chex Mix with Thin Mint cookies. So if you like Thin Mints, you will probably like this.
This would be the perfect party mix for any of your holiday parties. That’s actually what I intended for this Chex Mix. We have several gatherings and parties coming up so I planned on bringing this for our friends. Fortunately I have plenty cereal left over so I can make another batch. I am just worried it will have the same fate as the first batch. And let me tell you, my waist line can’t take any more.
Here’s how it starts…
3 cups of Rice Chex Mix, 3 cups of Chocolate Chex Mix, and 2 cups of Cocoa Puffs
Then I added in about 1 1/2 cups of pretzels that I broke up into smaller pieces.
For the “special sauce” I mixed about 1 tablespoon of hot cocoa mix, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/4 tsp peppermint extract, and 6 tablespoons of butter. I mixed it thoroughly so that the cocoa mix dissolved as much as possible into the butter.
I then tossed the butter mixture through the cereal until it was pretty well mixed and the butter coated all of the cereal.
I made my Chex Mix the quick way and went with the microwave instead of the oven. I microwaved this for a total of 5 minutes, mixing twice after 2 minutes and 4 minutes.
Then I spread it out over a baking sheet to let the mix cool. Once cool, I tossed in a few marshmallows, because, why not! Then I drizzled it with white and semi-sweet chocolate and sprinkled crushed candy canes on top. I let all of that cool for an hour or so until the chocolate was no longer wet.
I would say that this is the point I served it to our friends or brought it into work to share with my coworkers and everyone loved it. But it didn’t get that far. My husband and I ate all of it ourselves. Which is either a testament to how delicious this Chex Mix was, or how big of pigs we are. Maybe both.
- 3 cups of Rice Chex Mix
- 3 cups of Chocolate Chex Mix
- 2 cups of Cocoa Puffs
- 1 1/2 cup pretzels, broken in half
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tbsp hot cocoa mix
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips, melted
- 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1 candy cane, crushed
- In a large bowl, microwave safe bowl, mix together cereal and pretzels.
- In a small bowl or cup, whisk together butter, cocoa mix, vanilla, and peppermint until cocoa mix is slightly dissolved.
- Drizzle the butter mixture over the cereal mixture and mix thoroughly until the cereal is evenly coated.
- Cook in the microwave for 5 minutes, mixing after minute 2 and 4. After mix is cooked, spread out on a baking sheet to let cool.
- Once cooled to room temperature, mix in marshmallows. Then drizzle chocolate over the top of the mixture. Sprinkle candy canes over top. Lightly mix to coat cereal in chocolate.
- Store in a zip top bag or air tight container for up to 5 days.