It’s my husband’s birthday this weekend! I love it when other people have birthdays so I can bake something for them! This cookie cake actually isn’t for him. I have something extra special in mind for him (he love ice cream cake). But for a coworkers birthday I tried making my very first cookie cake.
Honestly, I was a little intimidated. I have never made a cookie cake before and my expectation was that it would bake unevenly. The edges would be burned and the middle would be soft. But I did some research and found some great tips for making the perfect cookie cake.
I consulted several recipes. This recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction looks awesome. So does this one from Divas Can Cook. What I learned from both of these recipes is that the secret to the prefect cookie cake is moisture. You want to create a soft, chewy cookie. Not a crispy cookie.
So I ended up taking my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe and tweaked it a tad based on what I learned.
Oh….and I added lots of sprinkles!
Then I added some super simple butter cream icing (with extra sprinkles) for good measure. I used this recipe.
Cookie cakes no longer intimidate me. Actually, cookie cake my be my go to birthday baked-good. So much simpler than a cake or cupcakes!
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg + 1 yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9" cake pan. I prefer to line the bottom with parchment.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter, yogurt, and sugar. Mix in egg, yolk, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually mix in flour into the butter mixture until combined. Fold in chocolate chips and sprinkles.
- Dump cookie dough into cake pan and press out so that it is evenly distributed and level.
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes or until edges start to crisp and top is golden brown.
- Let cool to room temperature before removing from the pan.
- Decorate with icing and sprinkles of your choosing.