This muffin recipe came from Gordon Ramsay’s Healthy Appetite cookbook. I will admit, I was a bit skeptical at first. This recipe replaces most of the sugar and fat with bananas. And I am not a huge banana fan, especially when baked.
But these muffins were a pleasant surprise! I mean, they taste healthy, and they do have that banana taste, but they are pretty good. And I don’t feel that guilty about eating 2…or 3….or 4 with my coffee.
Below is the recipe that I used that is slightly modified from the cookbook version. But only slightly. You should check out Gordon’s book if you like making healthier dishes. He has a lot of good tips and recipes in it.
Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins
1 ripe banana
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup brown sugar
pinch of sea salt
1 1/4 almond milk
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup blueberries, rinsed and drained
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with liners.
2. Peel the banana and mash with a fork in a bowl, set aside.
3. In a large bow, mix the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt.
4. In a smaller bowl or measuring cup, mix together the milk, yogurt, egg, butter, and banana.
5. Make a well in the dry ingredients, pour the wet ingredients into the well. Slowly mix together until just incorporated. Don’t over mix.
6. Add the blueberries, and fold in.
7. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before eating.
Also, go enter my Birthday Giveaway for a super cute Kate Spade bangle!!